Sunday, March 10, 2013

Delicious Pairings - Some Things are Better Together

Have you ever noticed that some things are better in pairs than alone? The two things combine into something new and when it's a good pair, they bring out the best in each other. Peanut butter and jelly. Road trips and good music. Hot chocolate and a snowy day. Coffee and a chocolate brownie.


Last week, I was excited to get the chance to go to Walmart and check out the new "Delicious Pairings" section, featuring Starbucks coffee and Walmart's bakery. I loved the display, and all of the helpful suggestions for finding the right coffee and pairing it with the best baked treat. I was impressed with the amazing selection of the Walmart bakery, from brownie bites, to marble cake, to mini muffins. #deliciouspairings


I really enjoy coffee, and the taste and quality matters a lot to me, however so does the price. That's why I rarely ever get coffee out, and just brew quality coffee at home. My husband used to be a barista and is pretty picky about what coffee he gets. We do enjoy trying different coffees and flavors from time to time, especially seasonal ones, but our go-to favorite coffee is Starbucks Blonde Veranda Blend.



I like coffee by itself, but sometimes it can be just a little bitter, and it leaves you wanting something more. I got some of the Atlanta Bread Brownie Bites at Walmart as well as some Starbucks Blonde Veranda Coffee (although we already had some at home), and hurried home to try them together. It was difficult waiting for the coffee to brew to break into the brownies, haha.




The brownies were really delicious and went together so well with the coffee. Both the brownies and the coffee complimented each other so well. When I took a bite of the one, I wanted a sip of the other, and vice-versa.


When I think of coffee and brownies, I automatically think of my Grandmother. In honor of International Women's Day, I wanted to do something special to honor her. We have always been very close, and she has always been a huge inspiration to me. Unfortunately, her memory has been failing her lately. She still remembers who we all are, but doesn't remember most things that happen from day to day, what year it is, or even a lot of things about her own life and personality. It's interesting, there are several things that she has always loved, and it seems that as her memory fades more and more her love of these things grows stronger and more resolved: coffee, chocolate, bridge, Gone with the Wind, her family. I know that when I bring her a cup of coffee, a brownie, and the bridge hand from the morning paper, her face will light up and it will literally make her day. I think it's both the delicious taste of coffee and desserts, as well as the lifetime of memories associated with them, even those memories she can't quite recall, that makes my Grandmother get so much joy from something as simple as a little plate holding a cup of coffee and a brownie. I think I enjoy taking them to her and sharing in this little ritual with her as much as she does.


*I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community.This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™. All opinions are my own. #cbias #SocialFabric

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift to bring to your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Rachel. That last paragraph actually brought tears to my eyes! Your love of your grandmother is so evident...and I loved learning about those little things that make such a difference in her day...and yours, as well. Beautiful post.

    (And now, I'm really craving some coffee and baked goods. I'm going to go scrounge and see what I can come up with. Ha ha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! Yes, when I was writing this post, I was pretty annoyed with myself for only buying one tray :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Popular Posts